Sunday, September 6, 2009

Cow Sculpture at Farmleigh


On my recent visit to Farmleigh - my first - I arrived early (So what's new!) and strolled around the grounds. I came across this interesting sculpture in light of my recent post about the cow sculptures of Markethill, Co Armagh.

An internet search found the details. Created in 2005 by an American sculpture, John M Weidman, as part of an international sculpture symposium Sculpture in Context - it's at the bottom of the page. It's entitled Remembering (not to forget). About it the sculptor says: I would like to make a visual statement about what would happen if we want such things (as COWS) when they were neglected and 'allowed to disappear' from our wonderful planet EARTH.

Interestingly on his website the work is described as abstract.
A nice quote elsewhere from the sculptor: How my work is viewed belongs to the viewer.


No comments: