Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Death of Eugene Lambert

Eugene Lambert the puppeteer and ventriloquist has died aged 82. Eugene was a native of Sligo and is best known for the children's television series Wanderly Wagon which ran from 1967 to 1982. He founded the Lambert Puppet Theatre in Monkstown, Co Dublin in 1972.

Our children came along towards the end of Wanderly Wagon and have fond memories of the series. They were also taken on a number of occasions to the Puppet Theatre. I also took school groups on outings there. A feature of most shows I attended there was that Eugene did a spot there with his well known dog Judge. Judge was famous for his part in the Safe Cross Code advertisement.

I first saw Eugene Lambert and Judge perform at a concert or play in Skreen Hall in his (and my) native county Sligo sometime in the very early 1960s when I was visiting my grandparents. I have few memories of the event. I don't think it was the same time as some of the audience at the back showed their disinterest in the fare on offer by bleating like sheep.

Eugene was one of those people who worked at something he loved all his life and left the country richer as a result.

Irish Times feature here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I heard this morning, and couldn't believe it. The end of an era.