Saturday, May 1, 2010

Wow Awards Announced


So. The WOW Anthology has been published and my poem Waterlogged included. No prize though.

The prizewinners are:
Poetry 1. Patricia O'Callaghan; Dublin? 2. Leonora Steele, Canada; 3. Michael Massey, Kilkenny. Prose 1. James Lawless, Kildare; 2. Brendan Murphy, Galway; 3. Carolyne Van Der Meer, Canada.

Nice quick trip down, motorway from Kinnegad. Bad traffic in Galway city though. Got fish and chips in McDonaghs and a quick tour of Charlie Byrne's Bookshop. Bought only one second hand book.

A good turn out in Galway at a very pleasant function in the Galway Bay Hotel. Met a number of writers I knew, some of whom I published in Boyne Berries over the years, some not - James Lawless, Michael Massey, Seamus Harrington, Niamh Boyce, Máire T Robinson and Pete Mullineaux. Good conversation about writing, travelling, competitions, publications, how to get published, how to win competitions, the Hennessy Awards and that article in Poetry Ireland Review 100.

The anthology is a handsome production and credit is due to Tony O'Dwyer and Ger Burke for the courage to transform an online magazine into a print magazine.

Picture above: Prose winner James Lawless with editor Tony O'Dwyer and Pat Mullan at the Awards.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Michael,

I couldn't make the trip from Montreal, Canada, and your blog was the first news I'd gotten of the winners--and my third prize! How wonderful! Thank you! So glad you made the journey to support the writing community!
Best wishes,
Carolyne Van Der Meer

Michael Farry said...

Thank you Carolyne and well done!!

Unknown said...

Hi Michael,

Met you briefly at the WOW Awards. I was shortlisted for GALWAY GIRL. I think that's me in the photo - but I am not TONY MULLEN ... I am PAT MULLAN (that's with an 'A' - the Derry spelling) ...

Best, Pat.
http://www.patmullan.blogspot.com/

Michael Farry said...

Thanks Pat, I'll change that in the post