Saturday, November 20, 2010

I have a poem in THE SHOp

After years of submitting, THE SHOp has accepted and published one of my poems in the latest issue 34. I'm delighted, this magazine is one of the top poetry magazines in the country and gets and published poetry from all over the world.

I'm in good company as well - George Szirtes is there as is Les Murray. Also included are poems by Tom French, Dave Lordan, Richard Halperin, Mags Treanor, Peggie Gallagher and lots more. Good companions!

I sent in three poems including one a little quirkier than the other two. Which did they choose? Of course - the quirkier one entitled My Interest in Polish Poetry has been Aroused, which is not about anything but has references to Polish poets, Count or Countess Markiewicz, translating poetry and old age. You have to get the magazine to read it. My poem ends with the words in translation and strangely another poem in the magazine, Translation by Stephanie Conybeare, ends in the same two words.

The poem in the magazine which impressed me most was one by Donegal poet and taxi-driver, Danny McFadden, called Plague. He takes the idea of birds trapped inside a church - we've often seen them - and develops a narrative which becomes more and more disturbing until you realise that the poem is about far more than bird droppings on clerical vestments.

6 comments:

Emerging Writer said...

That's great news. A Fab magazine always. I'll buy a copy when I see it. Unfortunately you can only order a year's subscription online which is too much for me.

Connie Roberts said...

Congratulations, Michael! It is, indeed, a
fine journal.

Peter Goulding said...

Congratulations Michael. I've never submitted because I can never find submission details and deadlines but you're right, they're well respected and you're certainly in good company there.

Michael Farry said...

Thanks all! Delighted!

Totalfeckineejit said...

My favourite magazine Michael (after The Poetry Bus!)Well done for getting in, particularly as in the previous editorial John and Hilary said they would be 'raising the bar'!
I'm intrigued by your polish friends ogoneks :)

I also really loved 'Seeing The Pictures' by Paddy Bushe.

Orla Fay said...

I saw the summer edition in the winding stair today! well done again.