Friday, May 20, 2011

The UK Tour


Ok that's it. I need a break. Seeing the great welcome the Queen got in Ireland I'm off to the UK to sample the hospitality. Ferry to Holyhead then driving through Wales, southern England. No definite itinerary but I have to be in Bristol on 24 May (Bob's Birthday- he'll be 70) to attend the Bob Dylan Academic conference. I can't wait - Dylan and Academia!!

Then I have to be in Bedford at the end of the week to research the records of the Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Regiment which spent some time in Sligo during 1920-21.

Apart from that just wander around, see some churches, monuments, poets' graves, bookshops (Hay-on-Wye especially), attend a poetry reading or two if I can find any.

Above: the headlines in the Sligo Independent celebrating the visit to Ireland of the present Queen's grandfather in 1911.

2 comments:

AquaMarina said...

have a good trip Michael!

Anonymous said...

If you ever decide to make a stated visit to Scotland, get in touch, sir! Would be lovely to see you again.